- “I visited Costa Rica last year and had coffee in every village, market, restaurant and stop I made, and never had a bad cup. Once I tasted the Tarrazu, I knew my search for the best cup of coffee was over. This is fabulous coffee!”
- “This is my favorite CBD coffee so far, and I've tried a lot of them during the past 10 years. (Yes, I've been a CBD customer for 10 years...) The flavor is sweet and the acidity is pleasant, as long as you don't over-extract or use too much ground coffee. I use a single-cup pourover, and the result is great!”
Since I am not a connoisseur of coffee chemistry, I would like to know why is it that the taste changes (for the better) over time after opening the package?”
“I didn't like the smell of the coffee when I first opened the package, nor the taste of the first brewed cup. But I remembered from my previous order with CBD (Ethiopian Yirgachaffe), that I also hadn't liked that coffee in the beginning. However, as the days progressed, that coffee got better and better smelling and tasting. The same happened to the Costa Rican Tarrazu coffee. The taste got better and better, until one day I realized that it was one of the best coffees I had had. This coffee embodies everything I like in a cup of java - aroma, smoothness, pleasant aftertaste, and like someone has already mentioned, it really is gentle on the stomach.
To date this has been one of the best coffees from any of the suppliers I've used coming out of the AeroPress. ”
“Coffee bean direct has always been my go to for whole bean large quantity great coffees. I asked for a suggestion based on my more recent purchases and they suggested this delicious coffee out of Costa Rica.
- “My neighbors, returning from a cruise in 2004, brought me back a bag of Costa Rican Tarrazu. It is so good that I have brewed nothing else since then. It just tastes like coffee should taste. And, the aroma of a freshly brewed cup in the early morning -- that's why God created coffee.”
- “I know this because, if I was God, that's where I would be. Costa Rican Tarrazu is the best coffee on planet Earth. There is Tarrazu... and then there is everything else. I am not partial to flavored coffee. I like "real" coffee. This is it. No one I know who has actually tried a cup ever goes back to anything else.”
- Rises to the top
Like another reviewer, we too had coffee from Costa Rica, and never forgot it. This is true to that flavor.
We brew 1/2 gallon airpots of coffee through a Bunn commercial. The coffee exits the filter basket at 195 degrees. Through years of experience we've found that 4 to 4.3 ounces (weigh it) of coffee burr-ground to slightly finer than auto-drip (medium-fine) with 64 oz of water (plus 8 more for the retention in the coffee grounds) yields the perfect brew.
I should also mention, after ten+ years of tasting and testing, THIS is the coffee that produces that perfect brew. A lighter roast has more caffeine, of which I am a junkie, and produces a smoother flavor that is to me more suitable for all-day drinking. Don't get me wrong, I love a good espresso, and can drink city-roast all day as well, but this coffee at this roast level is pure coffee Nirvana. This is the perfect definition of the word "coffee."
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. ~Cheers
“ My wife and I have been trying a different coffee from CBD each month for several years now. We both agree, this is one of the very best coffees we've ever drank.
- Best Coffee
- “The first non-flavored coffee I tried from CBD was the City Roast Costa Rican and I loved it. I was lucky to have a friend bring me coffee from costa rica and since then I've never looked back. The Costa Rican Tarrazu tastes exactly like what I was brought back from Costa Rica. It's bold, smooth and has a sweet aftertaste. This what I refer to as "real" coffee. Everyone who's sampled this has fallen in love, claiming it was the best coffee they'd ever tasted. I like to brew with the Hario Woodneck or Chemex and it is perfect both in the morning and in the evening. I've tried other wonderful coffees from CBD but this is still my favorite go-to coffee. I make sure it is always stocked in my pantry, and when buying whole bean you can't go wrong. If you like the City Roast but are looking for something a little bolder then this is the coffee for you.”
- Very smooth
I tried it an Aeropress(inverted method) with an Able Brewing disk filter with a ratio of 18g of fresh ground coffee set at 3 on the Aeropress, filled with ~200°F water, stirrred for 30 sec., let rest for 1min., then pressed into a small cappuccino cup and topped up with hot water...excellent, excellent cup.
Tried it in a Clever coffee dripper with a ratio of 24g coffee to 350ml water. Added 200°F water, let sit for 1 min., stirred, then let rest for 2.5 min., then dispensed coffee...not as much depth as the Aeropress, but smoth nonetheless. I'm guessing this is due to the paper filter soaking up some of the oils.
Also have tried it both black and with 1/2&1/2 and raw sugar in both of the aforementioned methods. This is so delicate and smooth that I must say I prefer it in the Aeropress with no sugar and just a splash of 1/2&1/2. Delicious.
Delivery was extremely prompt and I live in the suburbs outside Chicago!
“This is a very smooth, mild coffee.
- Smooth and Relaxing
- “My wife and I have tried many different coffee beans, we enjoy a good cup of coffee throughout the day and unlike other coffee beans, this one is smooth, easy to relax to and full of flavor no matter what time of day you have it. The Costa Rican Tarrazu never leaves a bitter aftertaste and is never heavy on the stomach when having a cup in the evening.”